Have Fun, Stay Safe
Planning a safe family camping trip can be fun – if you're prepared. Knowing your limits, taking time to plan ahead, and packing the right items will help your adventure go off without a hitch.
Common Camping Dangers
Excessive heat can be a problem for young children; so, on hot days, hike in the cooler mornings and evenings.
It's no fun getting lost. Teach your children how to recognize landmarks and familiarize themselves with their surroundings. Children should wear whistles and know the universal help signal of three blows or loud sounds.
To protect against sudden temperature and weather changes, wear multi-layered clothing so you can remove or reduce clothing as needed. Wear comfortable hiking shoes to prevent blistering. Children should also wear brightly colored clothing to increase visibility.
Be prepared for emergencies
Pack essential first aid supplies – and know how to use them. This should include:
- Adhesive bandages, including Nexcare™ Waterproof Bandages, to cover cuts and scrapes
- Sterile gauze pads, to cover or clean wounds
- Large wound dressings, such as Nexcare™ Tegaderm™ Waterproof Transparent Dressings, to cover blisters
- First aid tape, such as Nexcare™ Durable Cloth First Aid Tape, to secure splints or gauze pads
- Instant ice pack, to reduce pain and swelling or cool burns
- Self-adhering athletic wrap, such as Nexcare™ Coban™ Self-Adhering Wrap, to support sprains or secure dressings
- Topical antibiotic cream, to prevent infection in cuts or scrapes
- Oral antihistamine, to treat allergic reactions
- Pain relievers, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Hydrocortisone cream (1%), to relieve itching from bug bites
- Calamine lotion, to relieve itching from poison ivy
- Alcohol pads, to clean cuts, scrapes or caregiver's hands
- Thermometer, to check body temperature
- Latex gloves, to protect against disease transmission
- Scissors, to cut tape and gauze
- Tweezers and needles – to remove splinters or ticks
Always stay on the safe side when setting boundaries for family camping; the more remote you are, the more care you should take in choosing your activities. With the right planning and preparation, children can learn about the world around them while exploring the outdoors, and you can enjoy camping and the woods safely.
View All Products ››
Coupons & Savings
Be the First to Know!
Get special offers & coupons.
All fields required
Thank you for signing up! You should receive a welcome email with additional details shortly.
An error has occurred while submitting. Please try again...
[averageRating] out of 5 based on [totalRatings] Reviews
Superior protection against water, dirt and germs.
Where to Buy »
Do Nexcare™ Products contain natural rubber latex?
Many of the bandages, first aid tapes and wound closures are made with latex free materials.
View All FAQs »